Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Tribesmen blow up oil pipeline in Sirwah, Ma’rib; UN representative releases report on growing violence in southern Yemen; U.S. ambassador meets with Yemeni defense minister in Sana’a
Horn of Africa: Ahmed Madobe speaks about reconciliation, strengthening security in Kismayo; Kenyan Defense Forces spokesman reassures violence in Kismayo is under control; Kenyan authorities release name of suspect who fled to Somalia to join al Shabaab; Himan and Heeb administration elects new president
Yemen Security Brief
- Jaradan tribesmen blew up one of Yemen’s main oil pipelines in Sirwah, Ma’rib governorate on June 13. Fighting between the tribesmen and security forces was heard following the blast but casualties from that incident are unknown. The reason behind the bombing is not known.
- United Nations Representative Jamal Benomar released a report saying tribal and political divides were deepening in southern Yemen, leading to more violence and instability.
- U.S. Ambassador to Yemen Gerald Feierstein met with Yemeni Defense Minister Mohamed Nasser Ahmed in Sana’a on June 12 to discuss strengthening bilateral counter-terrorism efforts.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- One of the newly elected presidents of Jubbaland, Ahmed Madobe, said that he is willing to hold meetings in Mogadishu in order to reach an agreement with the Somali government. Madobe also asserted his independence from the Kenyan government saying they were not involved in the creation of the Jubbaland administration. Finally, Madobe announced that his troops were planning to carry out security operations in Kismayo, Lower Jubba region in the coming days.
- Spokesman for the Kenyan Defense Forces said the recent violence in Kismayo is a nothing to be alarmed about and that the situation will soon be remedied.
- Kenyan authorities released the identity of a suspected terrorist who jumped bail and traveled to Somalia to join al Shabaab. Fuad Abubakar Manswab was arrested in December 2011 but fled when he got out on bail and traveled through Lamu to Somalia sometime this year.
- The parliament of the regional administration in central Somalia, Himan and Heeb, elected its president on June 13 in Adado, Galgudud region. Abdillahi Ali Mohamed was elected with 20 out of the 23 possible votes.
 “Yemen’s Oil Export Pipeline Bombed,” Xinhua, June 13, 2013. Available:http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2013-06/13/c_132452792.htm
Mohammed Albasha (@Yemen411), “Tweet about Jaradan Tribe Pipeline Bombing,” Twitter, June 13, 2013. Available: https://twitter.com/Yemen411/status/345164717364494336
 “South is ‘Heating Up,’ Partisan Divides Deep,” Yemen Times, June 13, 2013. Available: http://www.yementimes.com/en/1685/news/2479/South-is-%E2%80%9Cheating-up%E2%80%9D-partisan-divides-deep.htm
 “U.S. Renews its Support to Unity, Security and Stability of Yemen,” Saba News, June 12, 2013. Available: http://www.sabanews.net/en/news313654.htm
 “Jubbaland: Kenya Defense Forces Not Supporting Us,” Standard Media, June 12, 2013. Available: http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000085826&story_title=Kenya-jubaland-kdf-not-supporting-us
“Kismayo Security to be Tightened,” Bar Kulan, June 13, 2013. Available: http://www.bar-kulan.com/2013/06/13/kismayo-security-to-be-tightened/
“Ahmed Madobe: Jubbaland is Ready for Reconciliation Conference,” Bar Kulan, June 12, 2013. Available: http://www.bar-kulan.com/2013/06/12/ahmed-madobe-jubbaland-is-ready-for-mogadishu-reconciliation-conference/
 “Kenya Defence Forces Assures of Security, Downplays Jubaland War,” Bar Kulan, June 13, 2013. Available: http://www.bar-kulan.com/2013/06/13/kenya-defence-forces-assures-of-security-downplays-jubaland-war/
 “Kenyan Suspect Joins Shabaab in Somalia,” Kenyan Star, June 12, 2013. Available: http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/article-123997/kenyan-suspect-joins-shabaab-somalia
 “Himan and Heb Parliament Elects New President,” Bar Kulan, June 13, 2013. Available: http://www.bar-kulan.com/2013/06/13/himan-and-heb-parliament-elects-new-president/