Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Yemeni military seizes the town of al Sahil in Ma’rib; government forces loot offices of Yemen Today in Sana’a
Horn of Africa: Al Shabaab militants attack Liyuu police in Bakool region; Somaliland forces seize town in Sool region; unidentified assailant targets civilians in grenade attack in Kenya’s North Eastern Province
Yemen Security Brief
- The Yemeni military seized the town of al Sahil from Jahm tribal militias in Ma’rib on June 12. Yemeni troops from the 3rd Regional Military Command, 13th Infantry Brigade, and 14th Infantry Brigade attacked al Sahil, killing two militiamen and injuring six others, after the tribesmen captured over 100 oil tankers and transferred them to al Sahil.
- The offices of Yemen Today were looted by government personnel in Sana’a on June 11. Government forces stormed the offices at gunpoint, forced office personnel out, and began stealing electronic equipment. Multiple news sources rallied to defend Yemen Today and condemned the government’s actions.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Al Shabaab militants clashed with Liyuu police, an Ethiopian paramilitary force operating in the Ogaden region of eastern Ethiopia, along the Ethiopian-Somalia border near Ato in Bakool region on June 11. The recent fighting is reportedly part of an ongoing series of clashes between al Shabaab and Liyuu police in the region. In response to the fighting, Ethiopian AMISOM forces moved into Ato and conducted security operations throughout the area on June 12.
- Somaliland forces seized the disputed town of Taleh, capital of the unrecognized Khatumo administration, in Sool region on June 12. The Somaliland forces moved into Taleh without resistance as the Khatumo administration’s militia and leaders peacefully withdrew from the town. Somaliland forces seized Taleh in a similar fashion on April 15, prompting the Puntland administration to threaten military action. The Puntland administration has yet to publicly address the recent seizure.
- An unidentified assailant threw a grenade at a crowd of civilians, injuring at least seven people, in Garissa in Kenya’s North Eastern Province on June 11. No group as of yet has claimed responsibility for the attack.
“Army launches big assault on militiamen holding dozens of oil tankers in Ma’rib (Details),” al Masdar Online, June 12, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://almasdaronline.com/article/58736
“Army opens the path to Sana’a in Ma’rib after killing and wounding 8 and destroying 9 cars in the tribal sector,” Akhbar al Yom, June 12, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://www.akhbaralyom.net/news_details.php?sid=80049
 “Government justifies closure of ‘Yemen Today’,” al Masdar Online, June 12, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://almasdaronline.com/article/58745
“Statement from Yemen Today about the attack on headquarters by the Presidential Guard,” Yemen Today, June 11, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://www.yementodaytv.net/details.php?recordID=21952
 “Liyuu Police and Alshabaab Fight at Aato,” Dalsan Radio, June 12, 2014. Available: http://dalsanradio.com/articles/6541/Liyuu-Police-and-Alshabaab-Fight-at-Aato
 “SOMALIA: Somaliland forces capture Talex, Sool region,” RBC Radio, June 12, 2014. Available: http://www.raxanreeb.com/2014/06/somalia-somaliland-forces-capture-talex-sool-region/
“Somaliland Forces Seized Disputed Taleh District,” Goobjoog News, June 12, 2014. Available: http://goobjoog.com/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2724:somaliland-forces-seized-disputed-taleh-district&catid=124:local-news&Itemid=653
 “At least 7 injured in grenade attack in Kenya’s border town,” Xinhua, June 11, 2014. Available: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/xinhua-news-agency/140611/at-least-7-injured-grenade-attack-kenyas-border-town