Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Ansar al Sharia militants detonate SVBIED targeting al Houthis in al Bayda; al Houthi militants seize military camp in al Jawf
Horn of Africa: Al Shabaab ambushes Ethiopian convoy in Bay region; IED targets Somali government convoy in Lower Shabelle; clan clashes in Middle Shabelle region leave ten dead
Yemen Security Brief
- Ansar al Sharia militants detonated a suicide vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (SVBIED) targeting al Houthi militants in Rada’a, al Bayda, on June 11. A reported 25 al Houthi militants were killed in the attack. Ansar al Sharia claimed credit for the attack via Twitter.
- Al Houthi militants seized al Khanjir military camp in in al Ishra’a, al Jawf, on June 10. The soldiers in the camp reportedly surrendered without resistance. It is uncertain what brigade is stationed at the camp.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Al Shabaab militants ambushed an Ethiopian convoy carrying African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) supplies near Burhakaba, Bay region, causing deadly fighting between Ethiopian troops and the militants.
- Unidentified militants detonated a roadside improvised explosive device (IED) in Awdheegle, Lower Shabelle region, targeting a Somali government convoy on June 11.
- Clashes between co-living clan militias in Warsheekh, Middle Shabelle region, left at least ten dead before local elders and authorities could initiate a ceasefire on June 10. Local residents are reportedly fleeing their homes due to continuing conflict between the clans.