Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Suspected AQAP militant opens fire on local trader’s house in Hadramawt; tribal gunmen detonate IEDs near oil pipeline in Ma’rib; Yemen officials extradite Saudi affiliates of AQAP
Horn of Africa: Al Shabaab militants attack AMISOM and Jubbaland security forces in Lower Jubba region; AMISOM and SNA forces seize territory from al Shabaab in Bay region; suspected al Shabaab militants kill Somali security officer in Mogadishu
Yemen Security Brief
- A suspected al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) militant raided the house of Ahmed Babkair, a local trader, and opened fire in the Mansoura neighborhood of al Shihr, Hadramawt on July 30, wounding Babkair’s son.
- Armed tribesmen detonated two improvised explosive devices (IED) near an oil pipeline in the Habab area of Wadi Abida, Ma’rib on July 30.
- Yemen authorities extradited to Saudi Arabia eight Saudi nationals, suspected of AQAP affiliation, on July 31. Seven of the detainees were male and one was the wife of a detained member of al Qaeda.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Al Shabaab militants attacked African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) and Jubbaland security forces near Kismayo, Lower Jubba region on July 30. Jubbaland Administration officials reported that at least ten al Shabaab militants were killed during the confrontation.
- AMISOM and Somali National Army (SNA) forces seized Qansadere district on July 30 after al Shabaab militants withdrew from the district. The militants vacated the area without confrontation as AMISOM and SNA forces prepared for an offensive against al Shabaab in the district.
- Two suspected al Shabaab militants killed a Somali security officer in Bakara Market in Mogadishu on July 30. Somali security forces, responding to the incident, killed the two suspects as they were fleeing the market. Afterwards, Somali security forces closed the market and conducted a security operation in the surrounding area, detaining an unspecified number of suspects.