Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Local government in Sa’ada accuses al Houthis of additional ceasefire infractions; Yemeni interior minister says suicide attack plotters have been captured; Yemen hopes US will up development aid
Horn of Africa: French vessel destroys Somali pirate mother ship; 10 killed in al Shabaab push into central Somalia
Yemen Security Brief
- Local officials in Sa’ada say that al Houthi rebels continue to violate the ceasefire that has endured for over two months. Officials say the rebels have been closing roads and kidnapping people. A report said that the al Houthis had killed and injured over 25 people in one week.
- Yemeni Interior Minister Mutahar al Masri said security forces had captured the planners of Monday’s failed attack on British ambassador Tim Torlot. The minister did not name any the suspected masterminds that were detained.
- Yemeni Minister for Trade and Industry Yahya al Mutawakil said he hopes the United States will increase development aid to Yemen. The United States has increased aid to Yemen significantly in the past year.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- A French frigate, part of the European Union Naval Force, destroyed a pirate mother ship off the coast of Somalia on Thursday. The crew of the French ship, the Nivose, boarded the mother ship and detained 11 pirates before sinking the boat and two accompanying skiffs.
- Fighting between Al Shabaab and Ahlu Sunna wa al Jama’a militants in central Somalia resulted in 10 deaths on Thursday. The clash took place as al Shabaab fighters attacked the village of el Bahay held by Ahlu Sunna wa al Jama’a. Al Shabaab has moved north in recent days, attacking pirate, Ahlu Sunna wa al Jama’a and government strongholds.
 “Houthi Group Continues to Violate Ceasefire; Takes Up New Positions,” Yemen Post, April 29, 2010. Available: http://www.yemenpost.net/Detail123456789.aspx?ID=3&SubID=2137&MainCat=3
 “Yemen Arrests Masterminds of Botched Terrorist Attack Against British Envoy: Official,” Xinhua, April 30, 2010. Available: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-04/30/c_13272988.htm
 “Yemen Hopes Washington to Raise Development Aid to Yemen,” Yemen News Agency (SABA), April 30, 2010. Available: http://www.sabanews.net/en/news212998.htm
 “French Warship Destroys Pirate Mother Ship Off Somali Coast,” Xinhua, April 30, 2010. Available: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-04/30/c_13273829.htm
 “Al Shabaab Fighters Expand In Central Somalia, 10 Killed,” Garowe Online, April 29, 2010. Available: http://www.garoweonline.com/artman2/publish/Somalia_27/Al_Shabaab_fighters_expand_in_central_Somalia_10_killed.shtml