Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Al Houthi militants clash with tribal forces in Ma’rib; Hadramawt Tribal Alliance announces recruitment effort; popular resistance fighters retake government infrastructure in al Dhaleh
Horn of Africa: Al Shabaab targets UN with IED in Mudug region; security increased across Kenya to prevent al Shabaab attacks
Yemen Security Brief
- Al Houthi militants continued clashes with tribesmen in Sirwah and Majzar, Ma’rib on April 28. A reported 40 al Houthis and 12 tribal militants were killed in the clashes. The al Houthi movement has gradually been advancing towards Ma’rib city, the capital of the governorate.
- The Hadramawt Tribal Alliance announced plans to recruit a force of 20,000 fighters to repel any al Houthi advances into the governorate.
- Popular resistance fighters reportedly seized control of government buildings following heavy clashes with al Houthi militants in al Dhaleh city, al Dhaleh, on April 28. A reported 26 people were killed in the fighting.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Al Shabaab detonated an improvised explosive device (IED) targeting a UN vehicle in Galkayo, Mudug region on April 28. Al Shabaab later claimed responsibility for the attack, which wounded two UN guards.
- Security forces in Kenya increased security across the country on April 27 after warnings of a possible al Shabaab high-profile attack. A Nairobi police official reported that al Shabaab was planning attacks on government buildings and public meeting places in Nairobi.
 “40 al Houthis killed in clashes in Ma’rib,” Youm 7, April 28, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://www.youm7.com/story/2015/4/28/%D9%85%D9%82%D8%AA%D9%84-40-%D8%AD%D9%88%D8%AB%D9%8A%D8%A7-%D8%AE%D9%84%D8%A7%D9%84-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%B4%D8%AA%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%83%D8%A7%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%B3%D9%84%D8%AD%D8%A9-%D9%81%D9%89-%D9%85%D8%A3%D8%B1%D8%A8-%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%82%D9%89-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%8A%D9%85%D9%86/2159668#.VT-OvSFVhHw
“Popular resistance battling al Houthis in Ma’rib,” al Khabar Now, April 28, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://www.alkhabarnow.net/news/188760/2015/04/28/
“40 militants killed in Ma’rib,” al Hadith Alaan, April 28, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://alhdthalan.com/arab/7234
 “Hadramawt Tribal Alliance announces opening of camps to recruit young people,” al Masrya al Youm, April 28, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://www.almasryalyoum.com/news/details/718878
 “Fighting al Houthis in al Dhaleh,” Akhbar ksa, April 28, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://www.akhbrksa.com/world/132739.html
“Yemeni people’s committees in al Dhaleh regain government headquarters from al Houthis,” al Watan Voice, April 28, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://www.alwatanvoice.com/arabic/news/2015/04/28/705618.html
 “Somalia: Two wounded in UN targeted attack,” Mareeg Media, April 28. Available: http://www.mareeg.com/somaliatwo-wounded-in-un-targeted-attack/
 “Kenya tightens security over possible terror attacks,” Hiiraan Online, April 27. Available: http://www.hiiraan.com/news4/2015/Apr/99327/kenya_tightens_security_over_possible_terror_attacks.aspx